I created this Plants vs Zombies birthday party for my nephew Will for this 8th birthday. We kept it pretty simple since his birthday is around the holidays.... every other day we were having a party- Gingerbread House decorating with 15 little girls, Christmas, New Years and then his birthday (all within a week and a half!). We also wanted to keep the sweets limited as they have been on a permanent sugar high for the last week!
My sister and I made 3 kinds of cupcakes. Cone Head Zombie Cupcakes
These Cone Head Zombie cupcakes are super easy!
1. Just melt orange chocolate melts & ice cream waffle cones.
2. You want it really runny so I added a couple drops of vegetable oil to the chocolate (this allows it to be easier to coat the waffle cones).
3. You can melt your chocolate in a small/ tall cup or Pyrex measuring cup so you can dip the cone completely in it or a 8x8 so you can just roll the cone in the chocolate (I thought of this option later and think it might be the best)
We also, had Zombie cupcakes with our Cupcake toppers
Plants vs Zombie collection or sold separately)
Warning: Zombies are Hungry poster
The cake was the favorite of all the kids! I bought Plants vs Zombie figurines from Amazon and had Will arrange them how he would if he was playing the game... the only problem is that he wanted like 8 sunflowers! I created this printable House decal to make the cake look more realistic and complete. I just love how it turned out... I added a lithe happy birthday banner and no Zombies allowed sign to make it a festive house.
For the cake I frosted it with green frosting then for the squares I used green chocolate.
1. Heated up green chocolate melts in the oven (170 degrees for about 10-15 minutes)
2. Poured the chocolate out on wax paper and spread it out to an even thickness. You can also place another sheet of wax paper over it and spread it out with your hands to get a even surface
3. Once the chocolate dries (which was like 15-20 minutes) I just cut it with a knife into squares and placed them on the cake
Little hands kept moving and playing with the figures on the cake.... you can see one missing here
Cream puff Wall-nuts
Red Hot Jalapeño
Cherry Bomb fruit candies
We had little bags to fill with the candy for them to take home with "from the Zombies" thank you tag available in our Plants vs Zombie party printable collection
Will drew Zombie faces on a couple balloons! Look at him sporting his Plants vs Zombies shirt;)
For the games we played a couple really fun ones!
Just coat everything in oil and it real does feel like body parts. Here are some suggests for you
eyes- wilted cherry tomatoes (or grapes)
dried skin- jerky pieces
heart- peeled orange
intestines- cooked noodle
nose- red pepper
A surprise guest showed up! When we asked Will what he wanted to do at his party, he said he wanted his Dad to dress up as a Zombie and chase them around. So that's what we did! A Cone Head Zombie tag game. Once the Zombie tagged you ,you became a Zombie.... every human for them self!
I came up with Decorate your own Rice Krispy Treat -Zombie Lawn Mower
It's really easy if you buy the prepackaged Rice Krispy Treats! They are the perfect size. Just put in a straw for the handle and have different wheel options for them. I wish I had pictures of their Lawn Mowers.... they were so cute! It was just too crazy during the party to take pictures and they took them home
Every kid put at least 1 Crazy Dave Tacos on their Lawn Mowers!
We had an array of tiny candies for them to decorate their "Rice Krispy Treat Lawn Mowers"
I even found gummy Zombies for them to put on the lawn mowers and "run over them" They really loved these!