Search This Blog

Loading...

Mermaid under the Sea Birthday Party

Thursday, January 19, 2012


Welcome to our Mermaid under the Sea birthday party! We were featured today on Amy Atlas! I know there are a lot of mermaid parties out there so I wanted to create something unique, fresh and modern while still being fun and bright for the little mermaids that the party was for! The printables for this mermaid party are available in our Wants and Wishes Etsy shop


My inspiration for this party was The Little Mermaid under the sea song and from my niece, as she is obsessed with mermaids from any show... especially the Blue Mermaid.  She loves her mermaid outfit so much she hardly gets dressed these days.


I wanted to bring to life the ocean floor, to create an dessert table that made you feel as though you were on the ocean floor viewing into the life of a mermaid.  For the decor I hung colorful seaweed and blue beads cascading down with a large starfish as the vocal point. Then glitter filled seaweed and plants with schools of fish swimming around. 








I was really happy with how our banner turned out! I came up with the idea of punching small holds in the curve of the starfish to make it look as though the mini starfishes were holding up the Happy Birthday banner. It turned out adorable!




No mermaid birthday celebration is complete without bubbles.... so we created bubble wrappers that are part of our printable collection. The kids had a ton of fun with the bubbles. It kept them occupied for a long time. It really was cool to see the air filled with bubbles with the seaweed cascading down around them.



Other printable items that are included in our Mermaid Collection are favor toppers, bright colorful starfish, shells and sea creatures in multiple sizes. You can cut these out to create a runner, hang them from the ceiling, attach them as tags, favor toppers or put them on a platter as I did in the picture below.


We filled our favors with "salt water taffy". It was perfect as it brought bright colors and are yummy (and easy to find!)



The desserts turned out really well and were extremely easy to create. The "star" of the show was our Octopus Marshmallow pops we created. 


These took about 10 minutes to make. First, make  a 8 point star with pink chocolate on wax paper or some kind of paper that won't stick. Then dipped a regular sized marshmallows in pink chocolate and placed it on top of the "star". Lightly sprinkle fine pink sprinkles over top to add a little sparkle.  Now for the finishing touches.... place candy eyes and our flags! A simple yet stunning dessert for a mermaid party!


We had our octopus mallow pops sitting on a bed of white sugar with a little cinnamon mixed into it to create a fresher "sand" look. I know a lot of people use brown sugar, but I wanted a lighter more fresh and whimsical feeling. Then we sprinkled colorful chocolate mini perils and pink sprinkles.


 

"Our shark infested goodie bags"... mini cheveron favor bags filled with gummy sharks.


For added embellishments we add our cupcake toppers onto the bags.



For the cake we mixed different shades of blue and applied the frosting in a swirl pattern like tousled ocean water waves. With chocolate marbleized shells and starfishes. After we marbleized them we dusted then with edible glitter dust to add a little extra sparkle to them.




Our mini cupcakes were also sprinkled with the white sugar/ cinnamon mixture with a chocolate shell. We marbleized the chocolate so it wouldn't be a solid pink or purple, to make them look more realistic.






Sand dollar snicker doodles



Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. Hi Debby!
    I'm Chiara from Ilcastellodizucchero. I'd like to send you my translate macarons recipe. Please contact me by this e-mail cbacchini75@gmail.com
    Gorgeus marmaid party!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing party!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make her dress or buy it somewhere. MY daughter is having a LIttle Mermaid party and she'd love this dress! Great party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought the dress a long time ago from Old Navy. You might be able to find it for sale 2nd hand. The dress is really cute, she loves it. It wouldn't be too hard to make though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of your ideas! We are on the hunt for mermaid stickers and I was wondering if you had a source for the sticker/decal you used on the shark snack bags? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah,
    I actually designed the stickers and they are available for sale in my etsy shop. The pdf file is $5.... I used our cupcake toppers as the sticker.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/93137081/printable-cupcake-toppers-party-circles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of this! I am looking for ideas for hanging decorations and would love to know what you used for the hanging seaweed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought the seaweed from a little store that I don't remember in california.... sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful party! I love the table with all the plant life, and the octopus pops are too cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome - I'm going to make the octopuses (octopi?) Whats the proportion of white chocolate to marshmallow?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing job! What material did you use for the seaweed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the octopuses you just dip them in chocolate and it barely coats it. I feel it is a perfect ratio. You dip them like cake pops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great party! I cannot wait to try the pink marshmallow octopus pops! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are really easy too. It's so nice when a dessert take little effort and looks like you slave over them:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea, and am currently in the process of trying to put together a similar party for my 3 year old daughter who LOVES ariel. Where did you get the seaweed plants you used on the table? I have not been able to find anything like it anywhere!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you not selling the printables anymore because I can't find your etsy shop :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessi, I no longer have an Etsy shop, but the good news is you can find all of our printables at wantsandwishesdesign.com!

      Delete
  17. Hi! How did you come up with the seaweed? It's perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and creative ideas.. Have seen lots of mermaid parties but nothing like this.. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a niece that was so into mermaids that I wanted her to feel as if she was a mermaid under the sea with the "seaweed"hanging down, but still have an enchanted feeling..... she is such a girly girl!

      Delete
  19. Great party. Where did you get the blue beads?

    ReplyDelete
  20. And the big gold star fish, where to purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the blue beads and star at the same tiny shop a long time ago.... sorry I don't even remember the name!

      Delete
  21. This is my sister's favorite theme. It's sweet, colorful and just suits a kid's innocence. Glad to be exploring the net and found great Little Mermaid birthday party ideas like this. THis is going to be my niece's party theme next year. yehey <3 God bless always! I would love to pin some photos from this post hope it's find with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pin away! I have a new Mermaid collection with some other fun ideas coming soon to the shop and the blog so check back in a week or two! Happy party planning!

      Delete

 
all content © 2013 wants and wishes / blog design © 2013 smitten blog designs